This school year, Aeolian has joined thousands of other schools across the country as a CATCH school. “CATCH” stands for “Coordinated Approach To Child Health.” CATCH schools are committed to helping kids eat more nutritious foods and increase physical activity.Helping our children make positive health choices takes the entire school community: teachers, principals, cafeteria staff and parents working together in a coordinated way. I strongly encourage and welcome your support for this program. As a parent, your role in influencing your child to make healthy choices is extremely important.
A key focus of the CATCH program is to create an environment that makes the healthy choice the easy choice for our students. Throughout the year, we will promote positive health choices through wellness activities, classroom and physical education curricula, and signs around our campus. We hope you will encourage healthy choices at home too.
A major emphasis of CATCH is helping children learn to make healthy food choices. Our school will encourage students to eat only healthy and nutritious snacks during the school day. We will be using the terms “GO,” “SLOW” and “WHOA” to help kids know foods they should eat more-or less- of.
• GO foods include mostly fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and lower-fat dairy products. They are lower in fat or sugar and are less processed.
• SLOW foods are higher in fat or sugar or are more processed than GO foods.
• WHOA foods are highest in fat or sugar or have been highly processed.
Here are other ways we hope you will support the CATCH Program:
• Send only healthy snacks to school for events such as class parties.
• Pack healthy snacks for your child.
• Find opportunities for your child to be more active. Consider reducing the time he or she watches TV or plays computer games; take your child on walks or hikes-or to the park to play; or involve him or her in other activities.
• Be a positive role model. Let your actions speak louder than your words by getting more physical activity and making healthier food and beverage choices.
• Volunteer to help implement the CATCH Program. Contact your child’s teacher if you would like to contribute to a healthier environment on our campus or join our school’s CATCH Team, the group in charge of coordinating the program.
Pictures to the right are of the Door/Classroom Decorating Contest that took place on Friday, October 25th.
Grade Level Winners:
Kinder-- Room KB Mrs. Nack
First--Room 12 Mrs. Orellana
Second--Room 9 Mrs. Trujillo
Third--Room 10 Mrs. Ramirez
Fourth--Room 21 Ms. Leon
Fifth--Room 25 Mr. Jurado
Sixth--Room 24 Mr. Gallardo
Top Two Classes: Mr. Jurado's 4/5 Class and Mrs. Ramirez's 3rd Grade Class
Both Classes received extra time in the Aeolian Media Center!!
Great job EVERYONE!!
Please visit our Aztec Cafe to see the Healthy Choice Commitments of the Aeolian Staff!
Click on the link below to view the Photo Album: